Join Erica Williams, local history expert and president of the Maple Ridge Historical Society,
on a walking tour of the Maple Ridge Cemetery.
2 DATES ARE CURRENTLY BEING OFFERED:
Saturday, October 23 & Saturday, October 30th.
Both tours from 3pm to 4:30pm.
Maple Ridge has one of the oldest continuously operated cemeteries in the Lower Mainland. We will explore a variety of pioneering families with the oldest burials being at the southern end. The tour will also look at design and symbolism as well as the different types of materials used in the grave markers and how they hold up over time.
The entrance to this section is between the two large maples which is where the tour starts. Guests will meet at the gates at the end of 214 street (just off Dewdney Trunk Road) and join Erica for an approximately 75 minute walking tour.
These tours are offered as a free learning opportunity for locals about their history. Everyone is welcome and cash donations for the Maple Ridge Historical Society will be accepted.
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR THIS FREE EVENT. To sign up, please visit: htttps://mrhscemeterytours.eventbrite.ca
– Masks will be mandatory for everyone’s safety. But, vaccine passports are not required, as it is an outdoor event.
– Families are welcome! But this tour is more suited for teens and adults, as it includes an in depth discussion of history; it would not be of interest to young children.
– Please dress for the weather; it will go ahead in light rain. However, incase of heavy rain , it will be cancelled and guests will be notified by email 2 hours before the tour is scheduled to begin.
– Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Cemetery Tour” or phone the museum at 604-463-5311
– To learn more about the museum and the Historical Society, visit www.mapleridgemuseum.org