Doing Historical Research:
The Royal BC research portal: artifacts and cultural research https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/collections/research/research-portal
BC Archives: for genealogical searches http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy
City of Vancouver Archives: https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/
From the Whonnock Website:
The Maple Ridge Museum & Archives has benefited from the work of local historians who have been most generous with their research and writing. One is Fred Braches of Whonnock who took over the mantle of “Mr. Whonnock” from his friend and predecessor Brian Byrnes. Fred has seen to the organization and documentation of Whonnock’s archives including many photographs and shares all of his material through his website.
For Whonnock history, see <http://www.whonnock.ca/whonnock-history/index.php>
For Ruskin history, see http://whonnock.ca/whonnock-history/history-ruskin.php
And for Fred’s Whonnock History blog, see http://whonnock-history.blogspot.ca/
Fred has also expanded and updated the Wikipedia entries for both communities at
From the City of Maple Ridge website:
FRASER RIVER HERITAGE WALK
The Fraser River Heritage Walk links the key heritage sites in Port Haney with a paved walkway. Beginning at the refurbished Port Haney Wharf, now equipped with a landing for river traffic, the walk takes you through an underpass of the Haney Bypass to historic Haney House. You may stop there to admire the river view, or sit on a bench in the Haney orchard at the top of the garden. Winding through a residential area, the walk takes you to Brickwood Park on the corner of 225 Street and 116 Avenue. From there it is an easy stroll to the Maple Ridge Museum along 116 Avenue. The River Walk is open year round.
1. PORT HANEY WHARF AND OFFICE
The Port Haney Wharf and Office is a false front building that was constructed in 1926 as a real estate office in upper Haney. It was moved in 1950 when the Post Office on 224 Street was built. Roy Beckstrom Towing Company used it as an office on the riverfront until the early 1980s. It was moved again onto the Port Haney Wharf after restoration in 1992.2. ORIGINAL POST OFFICE
The Post Office was housed in various general stores until this building was erected in 1932 as the first separate post office. Because many businesses had moved to the upper town, this building was used as a post office only until 1939. It is now a residence.3. BANK OF MONTREAL
The Port Haney branch of the Bank of Montreal was built in 1910, with living quarters upstairs for the manager. When the present Bank of Montreal was built on the Lougheed Highway in 1932, this building was used for housing. The building was restored as the Billy Miner Pub in 1981.4. MANSE
The Manse next door to St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church is now a private home.5. ST. ANDREW’S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The brick-faced St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was built as a Presbyterian church in 1888 on land donated by Thomas Haney. The steeple was added in the 1930s to house the Methodist Church bell. St. Andrew’s became a united church in 1926 and continued to serve a congregation until 1956 when it was replaced by the larger church at 222 Street and Dewdney Trunk Road. The heritage church is now used as a small community hall, operated by the Maple Ridge Historical Society. Learn more about St. Andrew’s Heritage Hall.6. PRINCE DAVID LODGE MASONIC HALL
The Masonic Hall was originally constructed on the Lougheed Highway (north side between 224 Street and 225 Street) in 1931, and moved to its present location on 116 Avenue in 1980. The hall has been in continuous use since it was built.
7. OLD POST OFFICE
The old Post Office stood on Fraser Street to serve as the Haney Post Office from 1939 until 1950. It was used by several retail stores until the Maple Ridge Historical Society moved it to Callaghan Park where it serves as a preschool.
8 & 9. HANEY HOUSE
This gracious family home was built on the brow of a hill overlooking the Fraser River by pioneer Thomas Haney for his wife Anne and family. They came to Maple Ridge in 1876 and founded the town of Port Haney in 1882. Members of the Haney family lived in the home until 1979 when it was donated to the people of Maple Ridge. Haney House has been open to the public since 1981. Features of the main floor are a farm kitchen, family portraits and furnishings in the parlour and dining room. Upstairs is a fully furnished master bedroom, little girl’s room, priest’s room and bathroom.
Surrounding Haney House are heritage gardens and remnants of the original orchard. The efforts of caretakers are reflected in the restoration of the gardens to perennial plantings of old-fashioned species.
10. BRICKYARD OFFICE
The office for the Port Haney Brick and Tile Company was built in 1930 of solid brick, tile and cement as workspace and as a showcase for the Brick Company. Now part of the Maple Ridge Museum, it is used as meeting, activity and work space.
11. MAPLE RIDGE MUSEUM
The Maple Ridge Museum is housed in the 1907 manager’s home for the Port Haney Brick and Tile Company, which operated until 1977. After demolition of the brick works, the land and two remaining buildings were donated to the municipality by the Baynes family for a park. The main floor tells the story of the Katzie First Nation and the pioneer settlement period as well industry and displays of household goods. On the lower level is a late 1920s era model railway diorama showing the strong influence of the CPR on the area’s growth plus the role of railway logging.
This 1944 CPR Caboose is one of a rare few remaining all-wood cabooses from WWII days. The plywood sheathing and action colours have all been replaced as part of a restoration to the as-built appearance. One side has the popular “script” lettering and the other side has the first “block” scheme. The interior retains the in-service configuration. It is open to visitors during tours and on the last Sunday of every month.