St. John the Divine Anglican Church was originally located in Derby, east of Fort Langley and opened for its first service in 1859. However, with the construction of the CPR bringing in hundreds of residents to Maple Ridge, it was decided to bring the church across the river. In 1882, Samuel Edge and a team of men dismantled the church and floated it across the river, re-erecting it on River Road. St. John the Divine is the oldest church in the BC lower mainland, and still runs services to this day.
While this scavenger hunt addresses primarily white settler history, it is important to note that both the Katzie and Kwantlen’s history with this land spans back thousands of years prior to the arrival of European settlers. We would like to acknowledge that each of the places in this scavenger hunt are part of the unceded territories of the Katzie First Nation and the Kwantlen First Nation on which we are lucky enough to work and share this land’s history.